It takes a lot to run a volunteer netball club and there are many people who not only spend their time swooping across the netball court but also working on the operations of the club. This page is a landing spot for all all the club activities and updates. The info below is relevant to all members - so please read on!
Jan 2021: Happy New Year!
Happy New Year, Nesties!
As we head into the relative unknown of 2021, there are a few important things to which we'd like to draw your attention.
Firstly, you can find here the End of Year Report for 2020. Although not as full as we'd hope, it nevertheless details some of the highlights from the last year, as well as important information on the business side of things. Please take a couple of minutes to go through this short presentation, and do let us know if you have any questions (or, even better, additions!).
Secondly, and as is mentioned in this report, this year will see the election of a new Board. According to the Club's Statutes, this must happen every 3 years - in October 2021, it will be 3 years since Lucy, Grace, and Blair took on the positions of President, Secretary and Treasurer, and so it is these positions (and possibly some others) that will be up for election. You can expect more information on the roles and responsibilities of these positions, as well as the election process, in the coming months, but please already start to think about whether one of these jobs might be right for you!
Thirdly, many long-standing members will know that we usually renew memberships in January. For obvious reasons, we decided that this might not be the right time for it this year...! Once we know that we're able to return to netball, we'll send joining details and payment links. But for now, it would be a huge help if you could take 30 seconds to fill out this quick poll on whether or not you intend to renew your membership whenever it becomes possible. Please note: this poll is anonymous and not legally binding! It's just to give us a rough idea of numbers, and will allow us to set fees and make a more informed "plan of action" for resuming training when the time comes.
It's been a tough year for all of us, made even more difficult by the huge gaping hole no doubt left by the absence of our weekly netball sessions... All of us here at Amsterdam Netball Club are hoping for a happier and healthier 2021 for all of our wonderful members. More than anything, we hope to see you back on court as soon as possible.
Lots of love, Lucy and the Board xxx
4 November: still no netty
As I'm sure you all know, the Dutch government has extended the partial lockdown measures to prevent the further spread of the Coronavirus. This includes a continued ban on adult team sports until at least mid-December.
Also taking into account the Christmas holidays, there will therefore be no more netball until at least January 2021.
This must be especially disappointing for our newest members, some of whom only joined us in October. And for those of you who've been around since the dawn of ANC, you must be wondering what you'll do without your weekly fix (because same!). We really hope you'll all be back next year!
Even though we can't be together on court, we can find other ways to keep in touch. If anyone would like to organise some fun socially distanced events (e.g. live video workouts, social media challenges, online games), please contact Lucy (President) or Rebecca (Social Sec), who will be happy to provide planning support!
Watch this space for future updates - as soon as we know anything more, you will as always be the first to know.
Stay healthy, Nesties!
The ANC Board
13 october: netball cancelled 🙁
The Dutch government has released updated measures to prevent the further spread of coronavirus. This includes a ban on sports with groups of more than 4 adults (18+).
Unfortunately, there will therefore be no netball for the foreseeable future. These rules apply until at least the end of October, and likely longer. Check back here for updates on when and under what circumstances netball will resume.
For now, take care of yourselves and each other, and remember that even if we're not on court, your Amsterdam Netball Nesties are always here if you need!
4 october: anc under new covid rules
As you know, the RIVM has released some new COVID 19 guidelines. These have some implications for our training sessions in the next three weeks (and possibly longer).
Our training schedule remains generally the same (see the news item below this one). However, if we have more than 30 sign ups, the session will be split into two halves of one hour each. This will be announced at least 24 hours ahead of the session.
To accommodate this, sign up will close 36 hours before training. For Thursday sessions, the latest sign up is Wednesday morning. For Sunday sessions, the latest sign up is Friday evening. Unfortunately, if you have not signed up by this time you will not be able to attend unless there is a space available. We will also not be accommodating requests for which session you want to play in.
All sign ups should be via TeamApp.
- Scenario A: 18 people sign up for training on Sunday. All 18 people will be allowed to attend for the full 2 hours.
- Scenario B: 40 people sign up for training on Sunday. On Saturday morning, you will be informed whether you are invited to the first session, 1000-1100, or the second session, 1100-1200, and informed which team you'll be in.
- Scenario C: 31 people sign up for training on Sunday. On Saturday morning, you will be informed whether you are invited to the first or second session. Teams will be announced, including up to 5 "spaces" which are available to last minute sign ups.
What about special events? Our upcoming Thursday evening sessions are planned as "special events". We will stick to this to the extent possible, but under the conditions described above (i.e. in two separate sessions when needed).
This set up applies for at least the next three weeks (in line with RIVM guidelines, which may be extended) and longer if we do not communicate otherwise.
We'd like to once again ask for your patience and understanding while we navigate what is a tricky time for everyone. Extra logistics and communications, and sometimes last minute changes, are inevitable. We understand this can be frustrating and confusing but please remember it's hard work for the Board too, all of whom are giving up even more time than usual to make sure you can play netball safely. If you have questions, please first look for the answer on the website or the TeamSnap event description. And please offer them whatever support you can, whether that be washing bibs, taping the court or sharing some words of appreciation!
If you have any other ideas for how we can continue playing netball under these circumstances, please email these to firstname.lastname@example.org.
19 September: Autumn/Winter training
Nesties, please find some info here about some changes to our autumn/winter training schedule.
From October onwards, all trainings will be held indoors at Sporthal Laan van Spartaan.
Weekends remain "grab a bib" style matchplay. This will now take place on Sunday between 1000 and 1200.
In addition, throughout October and November, we'll hold bi-weekly "special events". These will be on Thursdays between 1830 and 2030.
You can expect the following:
- Thursday 8th October: 1 hour match (or 2 x 40 min matches if demand is mega high)
- Thursday 22nd October: Quad Series
- Thursday 5th November: Advanced match
- Thursday 19th November: Versatility tournament
More information on how to sign up for these events will be available to members through our snazzy TeamApp (and on Facebook too). If you have any questions that aren't answered here, you can always email us at email@example.com
1 july: back to netball!
- Do not come to netball training if you have any COVID symptoms
- Wash your hands before going on court and between matches
- Limit the time you spend in the clubhouse before and after training (sorry, no socialising on the premises just yet)
- No more than 10 people in the clubhouse at one time
- Arrive at least 10 minutes before starting time to ensure you're ready to join the group warm up
- Take part in a thorough group warm up - lots of us have been (relatively) inactive in the past few months so protecting our muscles is as important as keeping our hands clean
- Keep 1.5 metres distance at all times when off court
- Sign up to the event (on Facebook or by messaging the organisers) by 5pm on Friday evening at the latest
It is up to all members to do what they can to keep themselves and others healthy. A few members will be specifically ensuring these rules are enforced. If you are repeatedly found to be ignoring any of the above rules, you will be asked to leave the training session.
For prospective members: we will initially focus on getting things up and running for our existing members, but we're keen to welcome you newbies as soon as possible! We'd like to organise a session for prospective new members in the coming weeks - keep an eye on this space, and we'll be in touch with those who have already filled out the membership form.
18 may: anc spring update in times of corona
We miss you!
It's been a long 2 months away from the courts, and the bad news is that we have to wait a little longer before we don those bibs again.
In line with updates from the Dutch government, some non-contact outdoor sports are starting up again, but only those that can put into practice the 1.5 metre distancing. We all know that's not possible for netball, and we aren't willing to put our members at risk.
At this stage, we are planning to ease back into netball from 1 September 2020.
Even then, things might look a little different. We'll update you on our training schedule and measures nearer the time, and as soon as we know more ourselves, so make sure to check back here when you can.
We have some other important notices, so please keep reading.
Fees: Unfortunately, we are still incurring many of the costs associated with running the Club. For this reason, we will not be offering a refund on members' fees. We understand this is frustrating and apologise. If you have further questions about this, please get in contact with Blair and/or Lucy.
ANC international tournament postponed: This year's October tournament has been postponed. Although regulations may or may not be more flexible by October, tournament planning needs to start now - we do not feel it is the right time to be making preparations for such a large event, nor asking international teams to book flights to NL. We're hoping that we can organise some fun, more local events later in the year though!
AGM - 19 June: The AGM has been rearranged for Friday 19 June at 7pm and will take place via Zoom. More details to follow soon - for now, please save the date!
Copyright: Photo copied from https://www.sportswearable.net/england-netball-uses-catapult-enhance-court-performance/
2 april: changes to anc activities due to coronavirus
Like all of you, we're closely monitoring the current situation regarding the coronavirus pandemic. Amsterdam Netball Club will always follow the latest guidance of the Dutch government.
For us, this means that, until at least 1st June 2020:
- All training activities are cancelled
- All club-hosted social activities are cancelled (except digital ones of course!)
- All international tournaments are cancelled (at the moment, this includes Paris, London Men's, and Stockholm)
At this time, we will not announce our plans beyond 1st June due to the uncertainty surrounding the measures currently in place. However, please rest assured that we are working hard behind the scenes to adjust our training calendar, to keep you all up to date, and to make sure that all you Nesties get your netball fix ASAP!
And in the meantime, there are still lots of things to look forward to! Check our Facebook page for specific event details:
- Friday night drinks, hosted by Vic and Becs - regular
- Sunday brunch quiz, hosted by Dom and Soph - 5th April
- Home workout, hosted by Jamie-Lee - 9th April
- The Grace British Bake Off Challenge, hosted by (you guessed it) Grace - ongoing
...and what else?! We've been so excited to see some of the ideas our members have already had to keep the rest of us entertained - do you have other suggestions? If so, we'd love for you to set something up. You can arrange an online gathering, set up a digital challenge, or simply post some fun activities you've been enjoying (don't forget to tag @amsterdamnetball on Instagram so we can share your ideas with our netball family). If you need any support from the Board for this, contact us and we'd be happy to provide it.
Stay healthy, Nesties. With love from the ANEC xxx
Copyright: Image available at https://www.budehaven.cornwall.sch.uk/news/u13-south-west-state-schools-and-u12-county-netball-tournaments-postponed/
8 Feb: UPDATE FROM THE Board - nominations open!!
- The ANC AGM 2020
- Open Board positions and how to apply
- Updates from Board members
- Club finances
- Open Board positions (see below!)
- Training Coordinator
- Head of Membership
- Fundraising Officer
- Coordinating training sessions (for example, designing session themes and assigning coaches)
- Internal league/match organisation, including making schedules, arranging teams, coordinating with captains and organising umpires
- Coordinating (with the help of the Board) regular matches with other Dutch teams
- Regularly checking the Amsterdam Netball Club email account and responding to enquiries from potential new members and existing members regarding orientation sessions and membership, referring these to the ANEC where necessary
- Collecting orientation sign up details from the google form ahead of orientation trainings, and informing the training committee of numbers
- Greeting potential new members at orientation sessions and explaining how the club works/answering questions
- Following up with orientation attendees to let them know how to sign up and collecting information on reasons for no shows/no sign ups
- Organisation and running of 2 fundraising events per year
- Seek out and apply for grants
- Look for sponsorship opportunities
ACTION Required - Health and Safety
Hello fellow ‘ballers! This is me, your Health and Safety Officer (Nadine).
1: I would like to know what the most common injuries in the club are and find a way to at least minimize them. Have you ever sustained an injury while playing for, or training with Amsterdam Netball? If you have 2 minutes, please fill in this form:
The information is strictly confidential and only statistics will be shared. Never personal information or injuries. It only applies to any injury you sustained while on club grounds, playing in a tournament, match or training. Anything outside Netball does not count.
2: The last two weeks have been looking good, but this is just a small reminder that for every training and match nails need to be short and all jewelry removed. Your fellow club member will appreciate this